Our
view out the back of the house was growing on me. Alaina rose early
one morning and we had a pretty sunrise to watch. Yet another reminder
that there is beauty everywhere and I just needed to look for it.
So
I had my coffee and Alaina had her chip breakfast....hey, it's
vacation, right?! Once the guys were up we got ready to go dig for
crystals in a new crystal mine near by.
It
wasn't busy and we had the guide all to ourselves. He led us down a
path and to this area. Apparently there are crystals everywhere, you
just have to pick yourself a spot and start digging.
The
crystals are really dirty and when you find a rock you have to give it a
little rub to see if it's a crystal...unless it's got a really nice
pointy piece sticking off that gives it away. Many of them look just
like normal rocks until you get them home and clean them up.
With the amount of crystals Josh dragged home, we'll be cleaning them for months.
I
think Alaina dug around more than Joseph did. She loved it! As you
can see though, I didn't dress us in the proper forest digging attire
and a good pair of pants would have been great. It didn't stop her and
sure as heck didn't stop Josh. I about had to drag him away at the end
of our dig.
Some of the crystals were amazingly
beautiful and delicate. Some were large and pointy like ones you'd find
in a gift shop. And each one was as exciting as the one before when
you came across it!
Joseph tooted around most of the time, but got a little digging in.
I snapped pictures most of the time, but got a little digging in.
Here's Joseph singing into a branch like it's a microphone.
He's a funny dude!
Yep, stillll digging...
Alaina modeled for me for a few pictures...among the fungus and mossy tree stumps.
Then
I finally dragged Josh and our fifty pounds of crystals out. We had a
super good day and it was absolutely beautiful! Arkansas ain't so
bad...
After "naptime" - which was McDonald's lunch in the truck as we drove around to let Alaina rest - we trekked back up to Rich Mountain to check it out sans fog. We drove the scenic route and stopped at a few places along the way.
...an ol fire tower held a really interesting story about the first family that manned it, as well as pictures of the original tower and home beneath it. I love a good dose of history!
So as this day came to a close, whenever I need a sweet little reminder of our trip...I can just gaze upon one of the sparkling crystals...all five stinkin' tons of them.
These pictures were worth the trip. I laughed out loud at the ones of Joey singing into the tree microphone. :)
ReplyDelete