Tuesday, January 1, 2013


Hello all!  I am so excited that I bought the new Photoshop Elements 11 on sale this Thanksgiving/Black Friday. (For a great price of course.)  I had almost completely stopped editing my photos altogether when my last version wasn't supported on our new laptop - and I forgot how much I missed it!  I love playing around with a photo that already has really great potential, like great lighting and a low ISO (which eliminates grainy noise) and a perfect little subject.

Of course as the photographer I see all the faults and what I should have done (in the photo above I wish I had captured how sparkly her eyes are...) but at least photoshop lets me adjust some of that a little.  In fact I know I can go back in and make her eyes a little lighter but sometimes I hesitate to do too much to the photo because I still like to stay true to that moment and how it was captured.  Plus if someone compliments the photo I want it to be because of my skills and not just changing it on the computer.

Awhile back Tammy and I took a photography class with Legacy Studios.  Being with a professional and having hands on learning like that really impacted how I started taking pictures.  I can't say for sure if it really impacted how they turn out....haha! 'cause sometimes it feels like none of the important factors line up just right...but at least I have a great basis and understanding of it all for practice.  Having the camera on manual and actually getting a good shot is getting a little easier each day.  I think next on my list, I would love a new fabulous lens.  I think that's the key to getting the pictures I really want.  And what do you know?  Our anniversary is right around the corner.  Come on Josh...pull through for me on this one! 

I can certainly say that manual is not for everyone.  I don't think there is anything wrong with the auto setting but for me it's a hobby and skill that I really enjoy, and can appreciate what I can do with a photo by adjusting the manual settings.  And as always, a little photoshopping doesn't hurt either!

3 comments:

  1. oh my how I wish I could find that copy of photoshop around here......... Pull through on this for me Heather! :) BTW - that little girl of your's is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my how I wish I could find that copy of photoshop around here......... Pull through on this for me Heather! :) BTW - that little girl of your's is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful photo of a beautiful girl! you will have to teach me some of your tricks! i know i have said it before, but we are cut from the same cloth my dear! everything you stated in your post excites me too! ha!:)

    ReplyDelete